Keep in mind MiniDV tape should never be thought of as an archival medium. Always transfer the video over to DVD.
With that in mind, here are some storage tips before archiving them to DVD:
- Keep tapes in a dust free environment, away from direct sunlight.
- Avoid high humidity and moisture.
- Never store tapes near magnetic fields, (top of TV, speakers, etc.).
- Try to give tapes 24 hours to adjust to extreme temperature and climate changes.
- Fast-forward & rewind tapes every 2 years to prevent sticking.
- Store tapes rewound in their case.
- It is always best to sit the tape on its side, But the small the milimeter of tape the less it matters. The reasoning behind this is, if the tape is laid down on it's larger flat side, the tape will warp. So when looking for a stand or case hold find one that stands the tapes up on one of it's smaller edges.
- The storage environment should not be hot, humid, dusty or smoky.
- Plastic storage boxes are the best solution for long term storage.
Last update: 07:31 PM Thursday, April 5, 2007